by Catherine DeAngelislllll
A poem by Carol Ellis “I am from a complicated mixture of… “ is a remarkable contribution captured from a moment of personal reflection and emotional insight.
Self-expression through use of poem-making to understand emotions is liberating and proven a healing art form when difficult emotions surface inside of us, like anger, sadness, annoyance, or desire, joy and contentment. To every emotion, there is a positive and negative, like I feel sad to I feel joy. A number of emotions that exist today are statistically staggering, and prove, we all need to readily understand and better self-manage what makes us “tick” or be “ticked-off.”
By stopping to reflect and taking time to jot down words that give specific meaning to emotions, we can unravel delicate to strong feelings that arise and can cause us to gain much more positive outcomes within us and in our relationships.
If you are recovering from a trauma in your life and you find some hindrances to your healing, or triggers and memories continue to disrupt emotional wellness, writing is a way to connect with your feelings as you continue to recover. Writing is an explicit tool that can keep you grounded as you gain emotional insight when specific emotions arise.
Emotional Writing Grounding Technique
A simple grounding technique follows. Of course you do not have to be a poet laureate nor a best-selling novelist. And yet some of the best known writers have risen to nobility because of this form of writing. Make it simple, self-attentive, a goal to flush out emotions for the betterment of health:
- Have handy a journal, or piece of paper and pen – for this practice, please refrain from the use of a computer.
- Allow a moment to sit upright in a chair, in front of desk or use of a flat surface
- Take a deep, deep breath – let it out slowly
- Breathe in and breathe out slowly
- Take another deep breath – hold it
- Count down slowly exhaling 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Breathe naturally, inhale and exhale
- Begin to write your words in a direct and a natural way without judgement.
- Soft background music is encouraged but sitting in quietude is better (avoid use of alcohol or recreational drugs)
Read more on:
– all rights reserved